Sunday, March 14, 2010

San Blas Islands

March 14 - The San Blas Islands are a little known, independent territory along Panama´s north coast. At least I hadn't heard of them until a year ago. They are owned and populated by the Kuna indians where the men fish and the women sew and that´s the way they like it. Kuna Indian life - congresogeneralkuna.org

A tiny San Blas island

Tropical Thoughts
Overheated. Jump in.
4 words: ginger ale and rum.
Cruising - (v.) driving around looking for fun.
No-see-ums. Cutter. Deet. Off. Hydrocortisone cream. Gold Bond lotion. Balboa beer.
All a bar requires is one person with money and another person with beer (or rum).
Lobster season ended March 1.
Doing dishes in paradise.
Does anything ever dry?
Sweat. Hazy.

Wing and wing downwind, 10knots

Was I really the only non-native on a little island with 2 Kuna indian women, a little boy, and a man asleep in a hammock Friday? (And their dog, Pula -- a sandy terrier).

Quiet roar of the sea. Rhythym of small waves rolling to shore.

Litha at Porvenir Island

Panama City
I've left the blue-eyed sailors and am flying home. They are heading north toward Belize (via San Adres and Providencia).

Panama City has a large international population and is a shopping destination for all of South America. In the mall while ago, I felt like the only American, and that was good for the perspective it gave me. In Spanish speaking coutries, "buenas" is the accepted greeting, at least in the morning, for "hello," "good morning," "good day." There's something good about saying "good" many times a day.

from The Moon and Sixpence:
...but the sea is so calm, so silent, so indifferent, that you are troubled suddenly by a vague uneasiness. Perhaps it is only by a kink in my nature, strong in me even in those days, that I felt in such an existence, the share of the great majority, something amiss. I recognised its social values, I saw its ordered happiness, but a fever in my blood asked for a wilder course. There seemed to me something alarming in such easy delights. In my heart was a desire to live more dangerously. I was not unprepared for jagged rocks and treacherous shoals if I could just have change -- change and the excitement of the unforeseen.
-- W. Somerset Maugham
Where are we?